View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Dominator's - 1991 Legacy SS 
Sourdough

Post Dominator's - 1991 Legacy SS
So.... I bought another car. :)

I started a new project this weekend. I bought GodSquadMandrakes 1991 Subaru Legacy SS (Sport Sedan) last week. He delivered it on Friday night.

I got it with lots of good parts and pieces, but no engine. :( , that's why it sits high in the front. But I've got that covered. It's my new soon to be daily driver. I started tearing into it right away.

Here are my preliminary pics.

I've got a motor from a 94 Legacy Turbo Wagon that's giving it's life to the cause.
Obligatory pulling-the-engine pose. It's hard to contain the Fro with a hat.

Rolled the donor car out and got the "new" one in the garage. Since the engine bay is wide open, I'm taking some time to detail and clean everything.
What I started with:

How it's looking now:

Not bad for a weekends worth of work. I am going to finish the engine bay, and degrease and detail the engine next, then stab it back together. I'm hoping there are not any major wiring differences between the 91 and the 94, I've got the donor still though, so I'm sure I can make it work. I'm hoping to get it all back together next weekend.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:33 am
Sourdough

Post Re: Dominator's - 1991 Legacy SS
Is that engine from the wagon? Other than the loss of space, it's probably the better way to go...

On a car like that, it's shameful how well you cleaned it up! smilie6

Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
Sourdough

-Wes- wrote:
Is that engine from the wagon? Other than the loss of space, it's probably the better way to go...

On a car like that, it's shameful how well you cleaned it up! smilie6

Yeah, the engine is out of the wagon. It's a better way for a couple reasons, one being it's not a wagon, :) and it's got a clean title too.

Shameful cleaning? Naw, it's gonna be my DD for a long time, I want it to look good too.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:02 pm
Sourdough

Dominator wrote:
Yeah, the engine is out of the wagon. It's a better way for a couple reasons, one being it's not a wagon, :) and it's got a clean title too.

Shameful cleaning? Naw, it's gonna be my DD for a long time, I want it to look good too.

Clean title is a great thing! The wagon is definitely the better body style though. Sedans are blah.

As far as the cleaning goes, I only meant that it will undoubtedly get all gunked up again before too long. I did that on my '96 Subaru - spent a couple of (several?) hours doing all this deep cleaning while I had the engine out the first time (about 144,000), both on the engine and the bay. Then, about six months later, I had a hose fail and (lightly) spray the whole thing with oil, which of course collected dust and it became all gunked up. So, the second time I had the engine out, a little more than two years later at 192,000, I did only cursory cleaning on it since it was likely to get dirty again. Wouldn't you know it, 8,000 miles later, another seal blew (my fault this time - I forgot to torque a bolt!) and did a fantastic number on the bay by spraying 3-4 quarts of oil everywhere; it was a hideous mess! Happily, it only cost me $32.08 to fix (plus eight hours of my time), but gawd - the oil! I felt good about my cursory cleaning. :wink:

It looks like it will be a nice driver.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:57 pm
Profile WWW

that is going tio be a great daily driver once your done with it :)

Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:58 pm
Profile YIM
Sourdough

told you that sh!t was easy. lol

'03 cobra PORTED AND PULLIED

Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:36 pm
Sourdough

suby_do wrote:
told you that sh!t was easy. lol

smilie24 Yeah, it wasn't too hard.
The PITA parts of the removal were the downpipe flange bolts. We sheered one of those.

And the 4 torque converter bolts. We tried every sort of swivel, socket and extension combination I had the tools for and nothing could get on them just right. We ended up pulling the oil pan and jacked up the trans a little bit to get access to them. That can't be the right way, but it worked this time. If anyone know the correct way, let me know. That'll help me in the future.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:19 pm
Sourdough

thats pretty easy. use a manual transmision smilie6

Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:31 pm
Sourdough

No way, all the pro drag racers use automagics, they're betterer for skreet racing.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:48 pm
Sourdough

lol there is a rubber plug on the top of the motor on the passenger side. some cars you have to pull the intake some you dont

Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:28 pm
Snowbird

looking good so far!

1993 Metro LSi (xfi swap--got 67.73 mpg hwy!!!!)
1994 Del Slow S

Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:13 am
Sourdough

bmg_customz wrote:
looking good so far!

Thanks man!

It's in there as of Monday night. Not without some problems along the way though.

We had a problem with the engine mating up flat with the trans bellhousing. But after taking the engine out again, the problem was found with the torque converter as the obstruction. There is a shaft that "can" pull all the way out of the trans. That shaft was not fully seated, so it stuck out about a 1/2 inch too far. Once that was found and fixed, the torque converter sat all the way back where it's supposed to and the engine mated up so easily. Working with an engine that weighs so little is kinda nice. I can move this thing all over the place.

But it's in there now. :)
New oil pressure sender, new valve cover seals, new rear main seal, re-sealed the oil diverter plate, new plugs and wires, and a whole can of degreaser. :lol:

:x
Here's the other major problem I ran into. In 91-92, the Legacy turbo used the older style engine harness plugs. 2 square and 1 rectangle. The newer style, which is on the donor engine, is 1 square, 1 rectangle, and one round plug. So now I'm wrapping my head around how to overcome this wiring difference. There are a few ways I can do it, but I am weighing the options and thinking about what kind of work I want to do to fix it.

The 91 chassis side of the harness plugs.

The 94 engine side of the harness plugs.

The problem at hand...

Dominator, from the original post wrote:
...I'm hoping there are not any major wiring differences between the 91 and the 94, I've got the donor still though, so I'm sure I can make it work. I'm hoping to get it all back together next weekend.

Yeah, that didn't happen :roll:

Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:50 am
Sourdough

Looks great! smilie2

Good luck with the wiring. Judging from the number of contacts in each of those square plugs on the vehicle side versus the contacts on the engine side, it is going to be "interesting." You'll undoubtedly get it sorted out though.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:02 pm
Profile WWW
Sourdough

The wiring difference could also be between manual and automatic transmissions. Do you have the plug from the donor car? It should be pretty easy to depin it and swap it over assuming you can match up the wires.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:23 pm
Sourdough

klyph wrote:
The wiring difference could also be between manual and automatic transmissions. Do you have the plug from the donor car? It should be pretty easy to depin it and swap it over assuming you can match up the wires.

Both are automatics. There's only 1 pin on the ECU that differentiates it in those models of Legacy. There is a TCU for the trans.

I'm thinking about a few ways to deal with it.
  • Get a old style engine harness and swap that wiring. Talking to Doug about this currently.
  • Swap in the chassis side wiring from the donor car all the way back to the ECU.
  • Make an adapter harness from junkyard plugs so it's plug and play and existing wiring stays intact.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:40 pm
Sourdough

just swap the motor harness to match the chassis harness.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:26 pm
Snowbird

so let me understand this correctly.. you took out the 2.2t to a nonturbo 2.2?? hmm why?

Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:02 pm
Sourdough

907dsm wrote:
so let me understand this correctly.. you took out the 2.2t to a nonturbo 2.2?? hmm why?

No, that's not correct. it's like this.

The previous owner sold the engine out of the car because he recently rebuilt it and it was worth a lot to part it out.
I bought the car (1991 Legacy SS) without an engine, but mostly complete.

I took a ej22t engine out of a 94 Turbo Legacy wagon that I already had.
I swapped that into the empty engine bay.

Everything is the same between the two, or so I though, but now I am finding that the wiring changed in 93 and I need to modify either the chassis harness or the engine harnesses to make it a plug and play deal.

So the TL;DR version...
It's still a turbo motor.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:04 am
Snowbird

Cool beans.. just making sure. I used to have a 91 SS and man I put that thing through thick and then and still ran good until I sold it then it blew up lol. Anyways can't wait to see the rest of the progress.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:57 pm
Sourdough

I installed a WRX coolant tank as an upgrade to my 91 Legacy SS. It's a two-fold upgrade, 1. it allows the fitment of a TMIC as the original one is in the way, and 2. I broke the original one, so this one doesn't leak.

The engine swap is almost all buttoned up. Here is another shot of the WRX tank and rerouted hoses.

I've got most of the parts to upgrade to a TMIC, but here I'm just test fitting it to make sure it all clears. The stock BPV hits the throttle body linkages, so I've gotta get some other pieces to adapt it to work. That and a Y-pipe.

So to get the intercooler installed I'm planning on getting these two things.
A BOV adapter.
This will allow me to use the 06-07 intercooler with the stock BPV from the Turbo Legacy. I just have to route the hoses across the top of the engine instead of behind, underneath the intercooler as in a WRX.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380305858060

Also this kit for the y-pipe.
I'm going to start with this one since it comes in pre-cut pieces, and I can adapt it (I think) to fit the location. I might need a different elbow piece or an extension from the elbow to an aluminum tube to the turbo and another coupler. I won't know until I get it and try to fit it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390130416700

I've also got a TD04 along with the intercooler to install at a later time. I picked up a set of yellow STi injectors too, but I need to research the engine management to control them before I put those in. That's a little ways down the road though. I'm just going to get it up and running in a stock configuration.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next